KIAC is seeking chaperones the 2020 Youth Art Enrichment Program
The YAE program relies heavily on positive mentorship from the program chaperones, who act as a primary support for campers throughout the week. KIAC encourages adults from Whitehorse, Dawson City, and all other communities to apply to chaperone.
Chaperones work as a team to provide supervision to all participants for the entire duration of the camp. Chaperones ensure that participants are engaged in course material, respectful of their instructors, and respectful and supportive of fellow campers in and outside of class time. Chaperones attend to any student needs or concerns throughout the program and offer support for a wide range of issues such as homesickness, social anxiety, interpersonal issues, and/or frustration of discouragement within class time.
Essential Qualifications & Duties
- Experience working with + supervising youth ages 13 – 18 (experience with at-risk youth is considered an asset).
- Up to date criminal record check or willingness to obtain one
- Must be a Yukon resident
- Must be available for the full length of the program and have a working cell phone
- Must abstain from using substances during entirety of the program, even during “free time”
- Must agree to the duties outlines below, which vary based on the applicant’s home community:
Whitehorse & Other Communities
Whitehorse chaperones will receive an honorarium of 180$/day for a duration of 6 days. Transportation, meals, and accommodations are also provided.
Whitehorse chaperone duties begin when the chartered bus leaves Whitehorse on Sunday March 22nd, and ends when it returns on Friday March 27th, meaning it is a 24/7 position. Chaperones will work in shifts to allow for breaks and free time during the program, to be discussed with KIAC staff.
- Whitehorse chaperones reside at the Downtown Hotel Annex with students and provide 24/7 support (including overnight supervision and security) to all students. The Annex is reserved for YAE chaperones and participants only.
- Chaperones will be present for all meal times (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and ensure that all students are present as well.
- Chaperones will be assigned to one arts class and ensure that students are present for both morning and afternoon class time. Chaperones will assist students with their various projects.
- Chaperones will be present during evening activities and later ensure that all students are at the Annex for curfew and in bed at a pre-determined hour.
Dawson chaperones will receive an honorarium of $120/day for a duration of 5 days. Dawson chaperones will be fed three meals per day on all program days.
Dawson chaperone duties are from 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM on Monday March 23rd, and end on Thursday, March 27th WITH A TWO ADDITIONAL HALF DAYS on Sunday evening and Friday morning.
- Dawson chaperones take attendance for Robert Service School students (a list is provided) and communicate this with RSS staff in both the morning and afternoon on all days of class time.
- Dawson chaperones will be present for all meal times (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and ensure that all students are present as well.
- Dawson chaperones will be assigned to one arts class and will assist students with their various projects.
- Dawson chaperones will be lead evening activities with the support of other chaperones.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, January 31st 4:30pm.
- Please fill in online chaperone application form below.
- Successful applicants will be notified and provided with additional paperwork by Friday, February 5th.
- Successful applicants must provide or obtain an up-to-date criminal record check at this point.