APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 28th, 2019
The Artist Demonstration Tent (located on front street, between the gazebo and the Art Market) will be open Saturday and Sunday of the festival and will offer a wide variety of artist demonstrations, many of them interactive (hands-on!) and kid-friendly. Demonstrating Artists engage with the public during set hours on the Saturday and/or Sunday of the festival. Your artistic demonstration can be hands-on or hands-off, though we do encourage a hands-on element.
Examples of demonstrations we’ve had in the past are: wood carving, stained glass, porcupine quill weaving, beading, printmaking, willowing weaving, etc. You will have the option of applying for one, two or three of the days.
Read the following information and fill in the application at the bottom of the page.
Artists will be selected by members of the Yukon Arts Fest Committee based on the quality of their applications and the feasibility of their project.
Artists will be notified of status as soon as possible, after the deadline has passed.
- Artists are responsible for the transportation, set up and tear down of their demo/exhibit.
- Demonstrating artists will be given set up times and tear down times that correspond with their chosen dates.
- Artists are responsible for providing their own supplies and materials. KIAC may be able to assist in some cases with small items (i.e. scissors), please mention this when detailing your set up requirements.
- Artwork cannot be sold at the Demo Tent. If demonstrating artists wish to sell their work, they may do so by booking a table in the Art Market and having it run by a volunteer. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Artists may bring printed items promoting their works and/or practice, such as business cards.
- Participants are responsible for their own accommodations while visiting Dawson City for the festival. There are hotels, B&B’s, campgrounds and RV parks in the Dawson area. The best way to find out information about accommodations is through the Visitor Information Centre @ 867-993-5566. We recommend booking as early as you can, since it is a very busy weekend in Dawson.
REGARDING HANDS-ON ACTIVITIES
A small drop-in fee may be charged to recover the cost of materials used by the public. KIAC provides an honorarium to artists for their time, so any charge should be for materials only. It is recommended to keep fees under $10. Artists are responsible for collecting their own fees (and providing a float if necessary).
KIAC suggests that hands-on activities be held on a drop-in basis as some participants in the past have found that people like to “try” things but not necessarily complete or attend for any length of time. This is part of the interactive festival atmosphere and we’d encourage it.
- Participating artists will receive an honorarium of $200 per day.Out-of-town artists will receive a $100 travel fee.
- Participating artist will be provided with breakfast, lunch and snacks on the days they are scheduled to demonstrate/perform/exhibit. All artists are encouraged to attend the welcome breakfast, which will be held on TBD.
- For artists who choose to demo more than one day, there will be overnight security for their set up and supplies.