On January 1, 2020, KIAC will be celebrating 20 years of enriching the lives of Yukoners and our visitors through the development and promotion of arts and culture. In the spirit of KIAC’s grand opening event – the “Odd Ball”- held on the eve of the millennium, we will be marking our twentieth anniversary with a New Year’s Eve “Odd Ball 2020” as the clock turns to 2020. We have a lot to celebrate.
Twenty years of activity have taken their toll on KIAC’s home in the renovated Odd Fellows Hall. This historic Dawson landmark, built in 1901, is used year round not only for KIAC programming, but for a variety of community and private functions. The KIAC Ballroom is a highly desirable location for meetings, events and conferences, many of which attract visitors from around the globe.
Financial contributions from a variety of funders, corporate sponsors and private donors have allowed us to make basic critical repairs and renovations to the facility over the years, but keeping the building and equipment in good shape for both KIAC programming and community use is an ongoing challenge.
To this end, the KIAC Board of Directors has embarked on a 20/20 Fundraising Campaign. We require a capital reserve that allows us to make improvements and upgrades to the building and equipment as the need arises. These improvements are needed to ensure that we continue to offer exceptional programming and a well maintained facility to our many community users.
The KIAC Board of Directors has created 20 unique fundraising events starting in May 2018, one for each month leading up to the Twentieth Anniversary Odd Ball on Dec.31 2019/Jan 1 2020. Some fundraisers will be stand-alone events while others span the entire twenty-month period. Some events are big, some small, but all provide an opportunity for businesses and individuals to contribute to KIAC while having fun and celebrating our achievements over the past twenty years.
The Big Launch
The 20/20 Celebration and Fundraising Campaign kicks off with a performance by Petunia and the Vipers in the Palace Grand Theatre on May 19th. At this launch event, we will announce several major sponsors along with our final schedule of 20/20 fundraising events.
During each of the twenty months leading up to New Year’s Eve 2020, we will be celebrating individuals who have made major volunteer contributions to KIAC over the past twenty years. One volunteer a month will be highlighted in KIAC’s weekly email newsletter, on the KIAC website and in the Klondike Sun newspaper.
Corporate Sponsor Appreciation ***
Parallel to the Volunteer Appreciation program we will also be featuring a business sponsor each month. The Sponsor of the Month will be featured in signage in the KIAC lobby, a banner ad in the weekly KIAC email newsletter, a thank you ad in the Klondike Sun newsletter and verbal recognition of support at every KIAC event held during that month. These sponsors will also receive a framed certificate of appreciation for display at their place of business. We will also be providing complimentary tickets to the main 20/20 Events *.
Draft Schedule of 20/20 Fundraising Events
- May 19, 2018 Petunia and the Vipers at the Palace Grand Theatre*
- June 2018 Literary Event (part of the Print and Publishing Festival)
- July 2018 Record Swap
- August 2018 Yukon Riverside Arts Festival Sadies’ concert*
- September 2018 SOVA Alumni Show/Dawson City Music Showcase at YAC*
- October 2018 Annual Wine and Food Tasting
- November 2018 Piñata Making Workshop (hosted by Veronica Verkley)
- December 2018 KIAC Open House + Artist designed apron and T-shirts auction and sale
- January 2019 Board Game Marathon
- February 2019 Valentine’s Day Dinner/Movie/Art Exhibit
- March 2019 Board of Directors volunteer service auction at AGM
- April 2019 Live Film Script Reading event *
- May 2019 Children’s Art Day
- June 2019 24 Hour Dance Marathon
- July 2019 Literary Event
- August 2019 Yukon Riverside Art Festival Event (TBA)*
- September 2019 Mystery Dinner
- October 2019 Annual Wine and Food Tasting
- November 2019 Giant Advent Calendar Fundraiser at Arts and Crafts Fair
- December 2019 Twentieth Anniversary Odd Ball*
Sponsorship and Donations
Special 20/20 benefits have been included within KIAC’s sponsor benefits. See the sidebar for more details.